It’s important that your bike is in full working order when taking part in an event.
Find out how we’ll be preparing our bikes when we ride this year’s Maratona dles Dolomites:
Subscribe to GCN: http://gcn.eu/SubscribeToGCN
Get exclusive GCN gear in the GCN shop! http://gcn.eu/5j
If you’re taking part in a Sportive or Gran Fondo then it’s really important to make sure that your bike is up to the job and as prepared as you are.
Let us know your bike preparation tips below ?
Ex-Professional Cyclist Dan Lloyd talks you through essential areas to look at.
– Brakes. Obviously these are very important as you will be descending around others and possibly for longer periods of time than normal, you don’t want them to let you down! ? http://gcn.eu/1MP1VSp
– Gears. Climbing is not going to much fun if your gears are slipping and not working properly. Dan’s quick tips will remind you of the basics to look at. ? http://gcn.eu/5c
– Tyres. The contact point with the ground, make sure they have plenty of tread, no cuts/flints/thorns/glass etc in the tread. Inspect the sidewalls too, ensuring they have no cuts. ? http://gcn.eu/5d
– Wheels. Check the tension of the spokes and that the hubs are nice and smooth as well as the wheels running straight with no buckles. Place a ruler of other straight object against the braking surface to check that the rims are not concaved due to rim wear. ? http://gcn.eu/5e
– Headset. The steering needs to be nice and free, but not loose. ? http://gcn.eu/5f
– Spares. A saddlebag is ideal to store an innertube, multi-tool and more, keeping your pockets free for energy bars and a raincape. ? http://gcn.eu/5g
Watch more on GCN…
How To Index Your Gears – Adjusting Your Rear Derailleur ? http://gcn.eu/5i
How To Choose Your Chainrings + Cassette – GCN’s Guide To Selecting Gear Ratios ? http://gcn.eu/1xcVa6h
Photos: © Bettiniphoto / http://www.bettiniphoto.net/ & ©Tim De Waele / http://www.tdwsport.com
The Global Cycling Network puts you in the centre of the action: from the iconic climbs of Alpe D’Huez and Mont Ventoux to the cobbles of Flanders, everywhere there is road or pavé, world-class racing and pro riders, we will be there bringing you action, analysis and unparalleled access every week, every month, and every year. We show you how to be a better cyclist with our bike maintenance videos, tips for improving your cycling, cycling top tens, and not forgetting the weekly GCN Show. Join us on YouTube’s biggest and best cycling channel to get closer to the action and improve your riding!
Welcome to the Global Cycling Network | Inside cycling
Thanks to our sponsors:
Alta Badia:http://gcn.eu/AltaBadia- // Maratona Dles Dolomites: http://gcn.eu/MaratonaDlesDolomites-
Assos of Switzerland: http://gcn.eu/Assos
KASK helmets: http://gcn.eu/KASK
fi’zi:k shoes and saddles: http://gcn.eu/fizikshoes and http://gcn.eu/fiziksaddles
Topeak tools: http://gcn.eu/Topeak
Canyon bikes: http://gcn.eu/-Canyon
Science in Sport: http://gcn.eu/SiS
Orbea bikes: http://gcn.eu/Orbea
Trek Bicycles: http://gcn.eu/-Trek
Vision wheels: http://gcn.eu/Vision
Zipp wheels: http://gcn.eu/Zipp
Wahoo Fitness: http://gcn.eu/Wahoo-Fitness
Park Tool: http://gcn.eu/-parktool
Continental tyres: http://gcn.eu/continental-
YouTube Channel – http://gcn.eu/gcnYT
Facebook – http://gcn.eu/gcnFb
Google+ – http://gcn.eu/gcnGPlus
Twitter – http://gcn.eu/gcnTW
Leave us a comment below!